Dec 7, 2010

Day 7 - Strangers

When a stranger on the street smiles at you, you assume that: A. He is drunk. B. He is insane. C. He is American D. He is all of the above.

I have yet to get used to the coldness of people here. Rephrase, not their coldness but their appearance of being cold. Because in nature, Norwegians are kind and fun people, but on the streets they fall into the cold hard European stereotype. They don't look at you when you walk by them, they don't smile when you pass them in the aisle of the store. They don't say excuse me or thank you.
I, however, like to be the insane drunk American who smiles at people in the street or the one who says "Hei" to the old lady walking down the store aisle.
Even on the bus, if I sit next to someone, they won't even turn to look at me, we'll get to our destination 15 minutes later without him knowing what I even look like, let alone what gender I am. It's as if I don't exist. I feel invisible. And you can't help but feel ugly sometimes too.
I come from city and a culture where men gawk at women, and say vulgar things or eye you up and down. It's rude, and I don't like it, but I don't even get the eye here? You can't help but feel ugly when the guys won't even look at you or give you a second glance.

So whenever you're in Norway! SMILE and wave hello to everyone, because only then will you be acknowledged, even if it is as a stupid American! At least its something! Smile and wave!

1 comment: