Jan 20, 2010

Like a sore thumb

This one is a bit outdated and I wrote it a few days before I left for Norway, so please forgive:

"you will stick out like sore thumb" was what the Norwegian foreign exchange student told me a few months ago. i hope he was joking.
But then again I just might, and not because Im Mexican...going to Norway....but because I do not possess the ability to adapt to the cold. Never have, and I dont think I ever will. Just imagine it: A quaint little European citt, cobblestone streets with snow, the people going about their business, and then...a big over sized stuffed pillow walking amongst them. The pillow would obviously be me, with a minimum of 2 jackets on, a beanie, 3 scarves, gloves, and not to mention the sexy thermal underwear I will pridefully be wearing. And lets not forget the obvious: shirt, sweater, pants, 2 pairs of wool socks and snow boots. Do I really want to spend 4 months in -20 degree weather? Call me crazy but YES!! The realization of temperature difference makes my body scream...that's almost 100 degree difference, but gosh darn it I will have a blast even if it means sticking out like a sore thumb and looking like wrapped marshmallows.
It was pretty amusing shopping for this trip. Especially in the dressing room, where other women were trying on pencil skirts and cocktail dresses, while I was trying on wool sweaters and turtlenecks. One lady even laughed at me when i tried on a brown, knee length, down and feather filled jacket. I cant blame her for laughing at what I assume looked like a walking turd with hair. What could I do? Nothing, but try on another huge gray jacket and transform from turd to dust bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment