Jan 27, 2010

The Happy Loner

Well I have managed to go into the center all by myself without getting lost! I had Tuesday off so I slept in which was simply delicious! Normally Sebastian wakes me up at 5:30 or 6 at the latest, but since Tuesday are my official days off his parents took care of him and were really nice to let me sleep! I woke up at 9am! I got up and no one was home, Sebastian was at daycare, Stig at work and Zoyla at school. Made myself breakfast and then got ready to leave! I walked for about 20 minutes to the nearest bus stop and already I knew it was going to be a cold day. In Soreide the area I live in it's a bit warmer than in the center, Bergen is literally in between and surrounded by 7 mountains so the wind chill is a lot colder. So if Soreide was cold...then Bergen would be freezing. But! I did not let that get in my way of touring and having the day off. First I had to go to the bank to try and open up a bank account. My luck wears thin on some occasions, and this was one of them. I got stuck with one of the snobbiest cashier ladies ever. The moment i walked in and asked if I could open a bank account she gave me this look like as if I were from the peasant class and she were royalty and I had summoned the ridiculous courage to come forth and ask her a question. So she said no because I would have to be in Norway longer than 4 months...Im going back with a new look and saying Im staying for a year, Ill also work up a British accent, lets see if that works.
Well after being rejected by the almighty b**** I went to the fish market and took some pictures and checked out several stores.
If you look closely you can see how the earth has shifted the buildings and that some are extremely crooked!

This is right on the harbour!
After my touring I was hungry and sure enough...I went to IKEA. I know I know, I couldnt help myself! so thanks to my tour guide Fredrik from Trondheim I took the suggested buses to Aasane and had myself an 69NOK($11)dish of Swedish meatballs!

As you can see they don't serve it with mashed potatoes like they do in the States, instead its 3 boiled potatoes! Still good!
I walked around the shopping centers in Aasane and then went back to the center!
Thanks to the Norway book my boyfriend, Tyler, gave me, I went by the recommendations that Mr. Frommers highly speaks of! First on the list was Akvariet, the Aquarium! Now I knew beforehand it wouldnt be a Sea World, and that it would be small, but I enjoy anything, and then to later be able to say "Yes I've been to the Bergen Aquarium" makes the walk and the entrance fee of 100NOK($17) worth it! Mr. Frommer's says its a 15 minute walk from the center, lies! It was about half an hour, or maybe Mr. Frommer's made this walk when it was a nice warm day and there wasn't ice on the sidewalks. you know how slippery it gets when there's soap in the bathtub? Well its like that, this is a picture of what my sidewalks look like.

I arrived just in time for the seal show and after walked around and waited for the penguin feeding to start! In between that one hour it started snowing!


The minute the penguin feeding was over I headed back to the center freezing cold and ready to go home. I hopped back on the bus and walked home. So the happy loner had a great time with her guide book and camera!
Now as far as my Norwegian goes, I can pick up on several things now when listening to Zoyla and Stig talk, and Im enrolled in Norwegian classes. I was originally going to start next week, but when Zoyla called today to confirm location they told her that they were thinking of canceling next weeks class. What notice!So we transferred me to the one that started yesterday. I hope I didnt miss out on too much. So I am off to school tomorrow morning!! Lets see how that goes! Well beloved, thank you for keeping up with me! It is now 10pm and I think I shall do some homework for my online class! Hadet!
Oh PS, I dont know what this literally translates to but to any Norwegian reading this please to not take offense I am merely translating it as any American would...
Bergen's Tennis Faggot School.
Natta!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mari,

    I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your host family. That is music to my ears. Zoyla was an Exchange student with our family when she was in high school. She was a blast to have in our house. We had some great times with her and I am glad to see that she is enjoying her life and extending her home to others as we did to her.

    I hope you enjoy your stay in Norway.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark! Wow, that's awesome to hear from you! Zoyla has told me a lot about her stay in the States with you and your family and how much it changed her life! She really is amazing! The whole family is!

    ReplyDelete