Mar 30, 2010

Velkommen til Oslo!

Oslo is amazing!! Yes it is considered one of the most expensive cities in the world...but maybe that's why it's so cool!
I left Bergen one Friday morning and took a looong train ride to Oslo. There at the Oslo train station I had to catch another train to reach the place where I would be staying at. A friend of Stig's was kind enough to let me stay at his house while him and his family left for vacation. Very kind family, and I had a companion in the house too! His name was Tiger! A tabby cat that likes to drink out of the bathtub!
Anyways so I arrived to my final destination at around 6:30pm. I had pizza dinner with the family, watched some Norsk Talenter (Norwegian version of Americas got talent) and went to sleep.
Saturday morning I didnt leave for Oslo until noon. I didnt have a plan as to what I was going to do or what I was going to see. The best thing to do is to just wing it.
I stepped out of the train and walked out into Oslo center. I was surprised at how many people there were I haven't seen this amount of people at one time in a long time. I can actually say that the streets were crowded. Something that I can't say about Bergen right now. Plus, there were A LOT of Middle Easterns!
I walked around the center and walked into different shops and walked along many streets. I walk with purpose, so as not to seem like a big time tourist, because if you're a tourist then shop vendors attack you!
I walked into the main mall of Oslo, called Oslo City. It was PACKED!!!!
I bought myself some rain boots because I really needed them back in Bergen and some tall black heeled boots. They were relatively cheap. In the US they would be expensive but here they were at a good price! The rain boots were $50 and the black boots were approx. $75. So good prices!!
Later that night I went out to party! I met these fun Spanish guys that were also just visiting Oslo and we went bar hopping, but since the hour changed that night we lost an hour and the bars closed earlier.
Sunday morning I went back into Oslo and toured around the whole city. I was by myself but I still had a good time. I was able to go at my own pace and do whatever I wanted. My favorite place was Vigeland park where there are 212 bronze and granite sculptures created by Gustav Vigeland. Here are some pictures!









And yes I did go to the Embassy but I obviously wouldnt have been allowed in. So I just snapped this picture and ran! haha
All in all, I would like to go back to Oslo but with someone else. Not that I didnt have a good time, I did. But snapping pictures of yourself just looks conceited!
So Monday morning I headed back to Bergen. I was sick, I had gotten a cold while in Oslo and by the time I reached home I felt horrible. I layed on the couch and fell asleep.
And that concludes my trip to Oslo.
Apart from that easter weekend I went to Geilo, a 3 hour train ride from Bergen, where there is still lots of snow! Stig's company rents a cabin there so I went up to meet up with the Fretheim's and another family that was staying with them! It was a nice weekend and Sunday morning we had a nice Easter breakfast with colored hard boiled eggs and cinnamon rolls and more!
I apologize for not keeping up with the blog! Its been almost a month now. Sorry! Ill try and keep up with it more often! Until next time!!! Hadet!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my what beautiful photos, the sculptures are wonderful. I am ashamed to say I don't know where Oslo is but your account of it made me want to research it more. Thanks for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete